Neurotoxin Post-Care Instructions
Neurotoxin (Botox, Dysport, or Xeomin) Post-Care:
- Refrain from straining, heavy lifting, and vigorous exercise for at least 4 hours following treatment. It takes the toxin approximately 2 hours to bind itself to the nerve terminal to start its work, and circulation may inadvertently move the botulinum toxin from where it was injected.
- Do NOT lie head down flat, touch, or rub the treated areas for at least 4 hours. Avoid wearing headbands or hats during this time.
- Avoid Aspirin, Motrin, Gingko Biloba, Garlic, Flax Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, or any other essential fatty acids for at least 3 days after treatment. Taking these may increase the risk of bleeding and/or bruising. If you have bruising, it will fade and go away like any other bruise. This may take up to 7-10 days.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, Niacin supplement, high-sodium foods, high-sugar foods, refined carbohydrates, spicy foods, and cigarettes 24-48 hours after your treatment. Using these may increase the risk of swelling and/or irritation.
- Avoid the use of Retin-A or similar products 2 days after the treatment to avoid increased irritation or redness. You may use a gentle cleanser and a moisturizer. Aquaphor for the lips.
- Avoid cosmetic treatments such as laser, ultrasound, peels, facials, or microdermabrasion for 2 weeks after treatment.
- Avoid wearing makeup until the following day. Earlier use may cause pustules.
- Please report IMMEDIATELY to the provider if there is ANY increased pain, increased swelling, redness, blisters, or itching after your treatment.
- Please remember it usually takes 3-5 days for Dysport and 5-7 days for Botox and Xeomin to take effect. It may take up to 7 days to see the full effect. If touch-ups are needed, it is recommended to do so 14 days after the initial treatment.
Please call the office with any concerns post-treatment and we will be happy to assist you. We can be reached at Alabama Surgical Arts Phone Number 334-271-2002 during business hours or at 334-546-9088 after business hours.